Saturday, February 16, 2013

7 Days of Memories: Day 1

"A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in   

life, it's the only weapon we have."   -Roger Rabbit


When I was little - less than 10 - I was at my grandma's house and I was rummaging through the linen/medicine closet as one does and I came across an old doll. It was pretty beat up and all of the limbs were out of the body so I asked what the deal was and either my mom or grandma said to me "Oh it's an old doll - it needs to be repaired" and I replied "How can we fix it?" and my mom said "You send it to the Doll Hospital (a real thing - its doll conservation) and they rebuild it" to which I replied not even realizing it "So she's so old she needs plastic surgery?"

That was the first time I remember consciously making someone laugh - my mom and grandma both laughed and my grandma said to me "We've got a Shecky"

I've always said to people that I want to leave this earth making someone laugh or have my last words be something funny or inherently "me." Most people that know me know that I will do almost anything and say almost anything to get people to laugh and I am not afraid to make "that" joke or make garish faces to make someone laugh who is having a bad day. That day at my grandma's house I realized how it felt to make someone smile and I unknowingly began trying to do that as often as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment